You need to understand what these social networks are and how they work before you can build a strategy to use them to promote your website.
How your Facebook page compare to your website ?
Facebook is now unavoidable. The incredible number of people who have an account on Facebook or other social networks drives some of them to think that having such a page is the same thing as having a proper website, or that a Facebook page is actually an efficient presentation website...
A facebook page is not a good presentation website.
But a facebook page is an important aspect of your presence on the web.
- The first purpose of a presentation website is to be a place where you can control the way you expose or explain your activity.
- You want to be able to reorganize, edit, update and improve your content as many times as needed with as much ease as possible.
- Your website is an important showcase, it is not a billboard where anybody can write
- Your personal or professional social network ( Facebook, LinkedIn, ...) page is an important complement to your site. It is not your site.
- If your site were an island. The social networks, would be important cruise companies bringing passengers to your site, and of course boats are not the island.
- Social network are subject to all kinds of changes which you can not control, from the way they deal with your private data, to the way a couple of unhappy clients can ruin the experience for everybody,
- It is also important to note the very different kinds of behavior you are expected to have on such a platform when it comes to business ... the number of contacts starts to be more important than the quality of these contacts ? Or is it the type of relationship to your contacts that is just different ?
- On your website all your effort is to explain a subject you know well, in a clear and useful way, to a reader.
So, how can I use Facebook, LinkedIn and other social networks to promote my activity ?
1. Don't sign up without studying how it works.
- A LinkedIn page is often a nice way to post what can be considered a modern CV, showing that you are part of a larger group of professionals. Your account will connect you to your former colleagues and clients. It is usually very professionally oriented.
- A Facebook page, has the first quality of being hosted on a very popular social network. The primary activity on Facebook is to share status updates and links to pages and to this effect it works very well.
- Other social networks, have various qualities, but keep in mind that their main objective is to have a maximum number of subscribers sending each other all kinds of invitations and links. The quality of these links is often less important than their potential to spread like a virus. (Viral Marketing)
2. Be careful to separate what is professional and what is personal.
3. Know it can be time consuming to maintain such a page.
4. Keep it interesting for your reader
Remember though that you don't need to have a social network account in order for your readers to share your pages on their social networks.